One goal that all homeowners dream of achieving but rarely get around to would be finishing the basement. Not only is a basement renovation one of the best ways to add more space to your home, but it is a chance to design a room from the beginning. That is why so many homeowners get overwhelmed and give up with basement renovations before they even begin.
Here are some things you need to know about basement renovation:
1. Consider all utilities first
Even though your basement has a chance to become a jaw-dropping space, it still needs to be utilitarian in essence. Storage space, laundry appliances, home offices, bars, or more, your basement is the one place where functionality should be prioritized. Therefore, if you want to maintain this high-level of utility, consider walling off places that require privacy, such as your office; leave the area around the water heater unfinished in case of future leaking; don’t move your plumbing in possible to cut down the cost of renovation.
2. Think about an open-concept space
In order to create an aesthetically pleasing flow in the open-concept space, you need to establish groupings. This might be a TV area, dining space, office, and so on. Within these groupings, decide on specific light fixtures and various elements that allow for these areas to have their own feel without putting up walls.
Neutral colors on the walls and floor are also an excellent way of opening up the space rather than closing it up. This also creates the illusion of light. Use bolder colors as accents—throw pillows, curtains, vases, rugs, and so on.
3. Buy quality items
You might think about lowering the cost of renovations by buying discounted items, leaving the walls unfinished, or selecting mismatched used furniture. But if you’re going to put all of the effort into redesigning the basement, why do your work a disservice? Decide on cohesive color schemes, materials, and ensure all furniture and accessories are top-quality to ensure you will have a space that lasts a lifetime.
4. Think about hiring a professional
Because you are starting from the ground up, you might think you have a highly customizable space where the sky is the limit—but that can quickly be your downfall. People who aren’t experienced in renovations should hire a contractor. You might find cracks in foundation or have to deal with plumbing and other elements that form the skeleton of your home. If you don’t know what you’re doing, a mistake can be devastating. Also, if you plan on hiring someone, ensure the contractor is familiar with building permits, zoning regulations, and are specialists with plumbing and electrical work.
Renovating the basement doesn’t have to remain just a dream. It can be a reality if you plan everything out by using the above listed tips. With such an open space and the chance to create a one-of-a-kind space, you should seize the opportunity. Should you need some help with designing your basement and getting the project finished, consider hiring a professional contractor.
OTHER SERVICES WE PROVIDE
- Siding services in Ottawa
- Choosing the right siding contractor for your next project
- Five questions you should ask a siding contractor
- Canexel engineered wood
- Best siding repair in Ottawa
- Complete siding installation checklist
- Siding installation and repair in Ottawa
- Siding installation and repair in Ottawa
- You Cannot Overlook These 3 Things During Your Next Bathroom Remodeling Project
- The Latest Trends In Bathroom Renovation
- Use This Checklist Before Starting Your Bathroom Renovation
- Ottawa bathroom
- Tips For a Successful Bathroom Renovation
- Luxury Bathroom Ideas And Design
- Luxury Bathroom Ideas And Design Kanata Ontario
- 3 Things When Remodeling The Bathroom for 2020
- Five basement renovation and design trends
- Ottawa basement renovations
- Basement Renovation Services in Ottawa Ontario
- Basement remodeling services ottawa west end
- Video of basement remodeling services Ottawa west end
- Finished basement in Kanata Ontario
- Basement renovation services Ottawa Ontario
- basement remodeling services Ottawa Ontario
- basement renovation services Kanata Ontario
- 5 Things To Look For In A Ottawa Basement Renovation Contractor
- Top Trends in Basement Renovation and Design
- Things to Know About Basement Renovation
- The Ins and Outs of Window Glazing
- The Benefits Energy Star Rated Window
- What You Should Know About Window Installation
- Home renovation contractor in Ottawa, Ontario
- Home renovation contractor in Kanata Ontario
- how to avoid buying houses that need extensive repairs
- 5 Quick Home Improvement Tips For Homeowners
- Quick home improvement tips to boost value in 2020
- Five things you need to know about home improvement projects
- home improvement projects that require a professional touch/
- Ottawa renovation service in Ottawa
- Reliable home Renovation Contractor in Nepean, Ontario
- Three things to ask your contractor before a kitchen renovation
- Ottawa Kitchen Designs and Installation
OTTAWA EAVESTROUGHING SERVICE