Getting ready to remodel your kitchen? Don’t just jump right in unaided. Before starting a project as complex as a kitchen renovation, there are a few questions you should ask your contractor. You might want to shop around, or you might have settled on a professional kitchen renovator in Ottawa already; but there are some things you should confirm nonetheless.
Here’s things you should ask before doing a kitchen renovation:
1. Determine Your Needs and Wants
Before you set up a meeting with a contractor and/or kitchen designer, it’s important to know what you want. Look up examples of your dream kitchen online, research some color palettes, appliances, and the price of everything. You should also consider what needs to be replaced, such as appliances. Do you plan on getting new ones or replacing a few? Separate the items into a needs versus wants list that looks at what is necessary versus what you could live without.
Next, establish a budget range. Having a budget will help the contractor or designer figure out the best course for your kitchen remodeling. Designers and contractors are very knowledgeable about various products, vendors, and the overall cost of designs.
2. Asking The Contractor
Once you have your initial plan drafted up, it’s time to go in search of a contractor. There are certain characteristics that you need to look for, like years of experience, testimonials, reviews, before and after pictures, and contact number on a website. For example, our website lists our years of service and has a number of pictures in a gallery for you to look over.
From there, you can decide who you wish to call or email. During the interview, be sure to ask questions like:
- How long have you been working on kitchen renovations?
- What qualifications does your team have?
- What brands and tools do you use?
- Do you have any references and testimonials? (ask even when not available online)
- How long does you design and renovation process usually take?
- Do you supply cabinetry? What materials are used?
- Do you install appliances and the plumbing?
- Do you provide estimates?
- How much do you charge for design services and what is the process for design?
3. Asking The Designer
If you find that the contractor has the answers and services you are looking for, it will soon come time to meet the designer who will help you get the kitchen you have dreamed of. Before that kitchen comes to fruition, you need to ask the designer questions like:
- Do you know popular kitchen trends?
- How would you use my space? And is what I want doable?
- What features match my desired aesthetic/look?
- What are the best materials for counters, flooring, and cabinetry?
- How can I make my kitchen eco-friendly?
- Is an open floor plan possible?
- Is the color I chosen a good choice?
- How should I allocate my budget for flooring, counters, appliances, lighting, and more?
Asking the right questions about renovating a kitchen will make the entire process a lot smoother. You will be able to create a working relationship with your contractor and designer, ensuring you obtain the kitchen of your dreams. Keep these questions in mind when making the call.